Tuesday 9 July 2013

A weekend with my African Mama out in the sticks


This weekend I had the privilege to go and stay with Mama Nomapondo at her house out in the rural areas of Mthatha.  The village where she and her huge family live is called Tyumbu.  A few weeks back Nomapondo told me that she was soon to be celebrating her nephews ‘coming of age’.  She then asked if I would join her and the rest of the family for the celebrations… I didn’t hesitate in saying yes!!

As the ceremony was happening in Comfimvaba – a very small rural village in the mountains, 4 hours outside Mthatha – I had to stay over on Friday night as we were set to leave at 5am Saturday morning.  Arriving in Friday night, I was greeted by Mama (the head of the house) and about 10 other family members; everyone was tightly packed into a small 4 bedroom house.  I was desperate for a wee so I asked Nomapondo if I could go to the toilet, to which she handed me a small bucket!! Thinking about it, I was being pretty stupid to think they had a toilet when the house didn’t even have running water!  But it was an experience and I think my nerves got the better of me, as I only used the bucket a handful of times over the weekend!  That night I slept in a double bed with Nomapondo, her 10 month old son, Kunga and 5 year old daughter, Luhle,  it was very cosy!!  Then the 4am wakeup call arrived, I had a bath in a bucket (please note it was a different one to the one I had previously used!!) and got dressed into the traditional Xhosa wear, beads and all!  I defiantly felt the part J   Still half asleep I got into the taxi and thought to myself ‘great, 4 hours in a taxi, I’ll catch up on some sleep.’  Until everyone started to sing at the top of their voices! I then though ‘OK, they’ll quieten down in half hour, I’ll sleep then.’ Oh how wrong I was! A full 4 hours of singing and chanting but their energy was incredible and I loved it!
We arrived in the small village of Cofimvaba then continued to drive for another hour along a dirt road into the mountains.  The views were breathtaking and everyone’s energy was incredible.’ The day consisted of lots more singing, dancing, slaughtering of a sheep and SO MUCH FOOD! It was an amazing day and one I won’t forget anytime soon!  The traditional Xhosa culture and celebrations are really something to witness!  I love their family bonds and sense of community.  Although very basic, I think we could learn a lesson or two about valuing what we have and not to be so greedy.
On Sunday morning I was woken up by the two children I was sharing a bed with by being jumped on.  It was a beautifully sunny day so all the family was outside on the farm doing laundry, herding the sheep, goats and cows and preparing the freshly slaughtered chicken (FYI, chickens DO carry on running after you chop the head off!!!).  I spent the day cooking with Pumeza, who decided Sally was too English and renamed me ‘Nwabisa’, which translate to ‘to make others happy!’:D You may now all call me Nwabisa Anne Stone!!
When it came to saying goodbye on Sunday evening I really didn’t want to leave!  I honestly had one of the best weekends since being in Africa and it was an incredibly humbling experience!  They may not have a lot of material wealth but when it comes to happiness and family, they couldn’t be richer!




My Mama!

Nomapondo & me dressed in the Traditional Xhosa clothes

Pumeza & Me


Me & Kunga




Nomapondo & Kunga



Me & Luhle




Traditional face painting & head wear



Pumeza


Mama!!

8 comments:

  1. Dear Nwabisa, sounds amazing and thank you for another blogging triumph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nwabisa - thanks for sharing, it certainly makes us all richer! LY x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello :),

    I was just looking up Bethany and I came across your blog. I was a PT volunteer at Bethany from 2007/2008 (can't believe it was so long ago!), reading your blog makes it feel like it could have been last week haha. I still think about Mthatha and the kids and staff loads. I am so happy Nomapondo has had another (beautiful) baby, if you could tell her I'm asking for her I'd really appreciate it, tell her she needs to get facebook! How is Sister Mary Paul doing? I guess almost all the children who were there when I was have moved on now, is Athi or Afikile still there? The last time I checked I think they were the last couple. I bet you can't believe your year is almost over! Enjoy your last couple of weeks. Love and hugs to all at Bethany. Emily XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily,
      Wow, how was your year at Bethany? I really don't want to leave! I've had an incredible year and fallen in love with everyone here.
      Of course I'll tell her, I'm sure she sends her love too. Don't worry, I'm on it, she'll have Facebook soon!
      Sister Mary Paule is good, still going strong. She doesn't run Bethany more but she's still on the board and comes to visit. Athi and Afikile both left at the start of the year. It was so sad to see them go and we miss them but they've gone to better places!
      Do you hope to visit Bethany again?
      Thanks for reading my blog :)
      Sally xxx

      Delete
    2. I absolutely loved my year, I would go back tomorrow if I could! I went back the summer after I came home but I'd really love to go back again. I finish medical school next year so I'm hoping I'll be able to squeeze in a trip before starting work :)
      Glad to hear Sister is doing well, Did Athi and Afikile go to SOS or have they gone omewhere else/ Glad they've moved on finally (they were both at Bethany before me!) although I'm sure it must have been very sad to see them go.
      When do you leave? I think I cried the whole way home hahaha.

      Emily XXX

      Delete
    3. Afikile went to live with her Aunt with was great and she's now doing really well and Athi went to another children's home which is about 30kms from Mthatha.
      I've been back in the UK now for 2 weeks and its been hard, I miss my kids so much and everyone there!! But I will be going back as soon as I can!

      Hope medical school is going well and good luck in your final year!

      Sally xx

      Delete
    4. Afikile went to live with her Aunt with was great and she's now doing really well and Athi went to another children's home which is about 30kms from Mthatha.
      I've been back in the UK now for 2 weeks and its been hard, I miss my kids so much and everyone there!! But I will be going back as soon as I can!

      Hope medical school is going well and good luck in your final year!

      Sally xx

      Delete
    5. Afikile went to live with her Aunt with was great and she's now doing really well and Athi went to another children's home which is about 30kms from Mthatha.
      I've been back in the UK now for 2 weeks and its been hard, I miss my kids so much and everyone there!! But I will be going back as soon as I can!

      Hope medical school is going well and good luck in your final year!

      Sally xx

      Delete