Thursday 6 September 2012

Arriving in Johannesburg


So I have arrived in South Africa after a long and tiring flight.  But being surrounded by 31 other volunteers really made the whole experience very exciting!  We were all so excited to start our new adventure together, although there were many tears at the airport and along the way. Erugh why does leaving home have to be so hard?!

After a long stop in Nairobi we started our last leg of the journey on a slightly smaller plane.  As a late arrival to the South African crew I was sat away from everyone and at the back.  Before I knew it I was surrounded by strangers, not going to lie, at this point I really wanted to get off the plane and go back to England!! But I stuck it out and even got proposed to by a Botswanan (if that’s how you say it) man who was offering me 5 cows for my hand in marriage.  I don’t think my mum would appreciate 5 cows turning up on her doorstep, however maybe she would, think of all those burgers!

When we arrived in Johannesburg we were met by Ian and Yvonne our country reps.  It has to be said I was slightly disappointed that I wasn’t met by a heard of Elephants and Giraffes, isn’t this meant to be Africa?!? We were shown to our place we were staying called: ‘The Ritz’ (unfortunately it was very far from the posh one in London).  In fact it was a basic backpackers with 10 of us in a bunk bed dorm and showers with glass doors (showering was a very brief experience).  I guess I’m going to have to get used to this travellers lifestyle…

After an early night, the next day we travelled to Soweto to visit a township and slum.  When we arrived I was surprised by what I saw.  You see tin houses on charity campaigns on the TV, but never right in front of you.  I guess I was shocked because it is so far from my reality at home.  I found it hard to comprehend how people live in those conditions.  However one thing that I noticed about the slums that is lacking back in the UK… the friendliness of the people!!! Everywhere we went they were waving and smiling at us.  Not sure if this was because we were white or they were just NICE people (mix of both I think).  But the fact that these people are next to nothing yet they can still manage to put a smile on their face… and I used to complain that our house didn’t have an HD TV!!!

Something totally off the topic of South Africa, I have discovered a Leeds University friend who is also studying Nursing with me!!! Lucy is part of the SA crew and doing Outward Bound, something I very nearly did.  When we found out, we were literally jumping up and down for out 10 minutes, so knowing I have a friend for the next 4 years has put me at ease!!
After an amazing 3 days in Johannesburg, it was time for us all to split off into our projects.  The 5 Umtata girls got the smallest plane known to man (seating 30) and flew to Umtata.  With these size planes the weight of the aircraft has to be evenly distributed to prevent capsizing… meaning the ‘fat passengers’ are moved around the plane… guess which fatty got moved!! That’s right… me!! I hope this African diet of rice and beans helps me shift a few pounds.  The walk of shame through the aircraft was enough for anyone to think twice about there weight!! Haha.

Anyway that’s it for my time in Johannesburg! So much more I could tell you but I don’t want to bore you.  I applaud you for reading this far, so thank you :) 

Lots of African love!!

Sally xxxx


1 comment:

  1. LOVE hearing all about your trip! Sounds amazing! Can't wait to read more :)
    Sarah Dalley xoxo

    ReplyDelete